Monday, January 30, 2012

Feels Like Home

Kip and I had such a great weekend away! My parents now live in New Jersey, but they still have their house in Americus where I grew up. They came down for the weekend to do a little work on the house and we decided to join them. Kip and I realized we had not been back since last June! How can time slip away like that??

So this weekend was a much-needed homecoming! It was a flood of good memories at every turn. We saw great friends that we hadn't seen in a long time. It was fun driving through town as we remembered different things that we'd done or conversations we'd had (as there's not a whole lot to do in Americus!). It is the place I grew up, grew in faith, made best friends, and met Kip. When we went to church, all of the memories at Central Baptist were just too many to recount. There's a warm familiarity there even though it's growing and changing in awesome ways. My home church still feels like home. It is the place we were married and seems like the ending and the beginning of everything all at once for me.


Here are a few photos from the weekend. It was full of lots of laughter and love!
My parents at the house

Kip and I at Joel's place

Good times with good people! 


The lovely McKenna and myself 


making another pot of Sunday afternoon coffee! :)


 Kip and I drove back to ATL last night, feeling a little nostalgic and missing the small town life. But something kind of crazy happened when we finally reached the outskirts of the city and saw the skyline all lit up... It felt good to be back in the city. When did this transformation happen?? We are simple people who love the small town life and the great outdoors. We never wanted to live in Atlanta.  Yet somehow God has changed our desires and given us a heart for this city. After a year and a half here we are getting familiar with  it -- the traffic patterns, how to get around the back roads, where cool little restaurants are tucked away... And as we were driving through the city lights of downtown I just had to smile and thank God, because somehow this feels like coming home too.


2 comments:

  1. Isn't going home the best!? I always feel like my trips are never long enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know!! It went way too fast. But it was such a great weekend while it lasted!

    ReplyDelete