Monday, February 27, 2012

Thoughts On Lent

I didn't grow up practicing Lent. But this year I found myself intrigued to learn more, and felt drawn into it over the past week or so. I would by no means consider myself an expert on the topic, but wanted to share a few thoughts I've been pondering. 

1. I don't think it is really about what we give up, but why. The Bible is so clear that sacrifice without our hearts turned toward God is meaningless (Mark 12:33, Isaiah 29:13). When our hearts are set on seeking God, I think that He shows us and guides us with what our sacrifices should look like. I did find it interesting to learn that the  sacrifices of the Old Testament were so substantial that they were total foolishness to the world. They gave the very best of what they had, trusting in faith that God would provide far better than what they could provide for themselves. With our finances, our time, our resources, what would it look like to really sacrificially give this way? To allow God to use all that we have in a way that may appear foolish to the world? I think it is absolutely a heart issue reflecting the depth of our trust in the Lord, and a gauge of whether we are really storing up our treasures in heavenly places. 

2.  If we are walking with Christ, sacrifice should be a daily matter. I loved the John Piper post "Lent or no Lent, Life is War", which really addresses this issue. As believers, we wage war against the flesh daily as we take up our crosses and follow Jesus. Anything that keeps us from knowing Him more deeply, we choose to turn away from and say "no". The things that draw us deeper into His heart and proclaim His kingdom forth, we say "yes".  Not an easy thing by any means, but such a joy-filled struggle because He is worth infinitely more than whatever we are turning away from. 

3. "Traditionally Lent is a season of sober, realistic reflection on our own lives and our need for a Savior. It is a time for turning away from anything that has kept us from God and for turning or returning to him. It is a time to pray that God renew our love for him and our dependence on him" (John Piper, "Why Would We Observe Lent?"). I haven't decided to fast from one particular thing for 40 days.  But I am seeking God more in prayer and really looking at my own heart. I am more aware of how I am spending my free time and what it shows about my priorities. The depths of sin are so deep. But the heights of grace are higher!  I am praying that God would show me areas in my life that need to be re-centered on Jesus.  I want to walk day-to-day in the beautiful shadow of the cross,  in HIS victory, and throw off everything else that hinders. 

These are just a few humble thoughts from someone who has much to learn. It's so beautiful to me to think of the body of Christ celebrating and preparing for Easter this way for centuries. We are a part of such a bigger picture.  I've attached a few articles below... feel free to check them out. And I would love to hear any other thoughts/wisdom on this! What are your thoughts on Lent?  

http://www.relevantmagazine.com/god/deeper-walk/features/28361-why-practicing-lent-is-crazy

http://www.desiringgod.org/blog/posts/why-would-we-observe-lent

http://www.desiringgod.org/blog/posts/lent-or-no-lent-life-is-war

No comments:

Post a Comment